• Join the K-Pop club after school on Tuesdays and Thursdays after school in room 108

• Boys volleyball open gym today after school

• The Awakening fellowship meets Wednesdays after school in the RTI room

• Come out to the College and Career Fair on Wednesday Oct. 25

Social media takes control

Angelica Madera, Staff Writer

It’s not hard admitting that we all have at least once texted during class even when phones aren’t allowed.

In each of my classes, there’s at least three people that are using their phone during a lesson or activity at any given time. And trust me, it’s never for education purposes, they are just trying to connect with their “baes”.

Teenagers are so used to being on social media that it literally has integrated into one of our necessities in life. Social media is absolutely unnecessary because it brings multiple negative aspects into our lives.

I’m no angel either; I still text my boyfriend throughout the day and I talk to all my friends on Snapchat or Facebook. Yet, I regret spending so much time on it because I know that I could be studying or doing my homework.

A poll given here of 25 students shows that they spend an average of more than five hours on social media each day. That’s incredibly high! Within those five hours, anybody can do homework or study for three or more classes. Researchers also found that the more you spend on social media, the lower your GPA will be due to not spending as much time on academics.

The poll also showed a trend of the amount of time an average student uses on social media and their ability of public speaking. Students who spend more time on social media tend to be more nervous and lack at expressing and elaborating their ideas orally to the public. Nowadays, we all use the words such as, “same”, “true”, or “me”, which is honestly really hard to respond back to. I don’t know about you, but I want to keep conversations with people.

The worse thing about social media is the cyber bullying. 81 percent of teens say bullying online is easier to get away with. Just imagine how social media affects other’s self esteem and emotions. Breakups, drama, and indirect pressure is always easiest and effortlessly. According to CyberBully Hotline, 20 percent of kids cyberbullied think about suicide, and one in 10 attempt it.

I know that this article isn’t going to make us stop looking through Facebook or take cute dog-filtered pictures on Snapchat, but I hope that this will help you reconsider the amount of time you spend on social media.

One thing I would recommend it is to just put the phone down or laptop/PC away for at least an hour. Do something productive. Get yourself that A you’ve always wanted, go out and burn those calories, or take some time to read that book you’ve always wanted to read.

Don’t let social media control you. Keep your limits and do something for yourself.