• Join the K-Pop club after school on Tuesdays and Thursdays after school in room 108

• Boys volleyball open gym today after school

• The Awakening fellowship meets Wednesdays after school in the RTI room

• Come out to the College and Career Fair on Wednesday Oct. 25

eSports proves place as sport

John Langlois, Editor-in- Cheif

A Middle aged, overweight, balding, loner who lives in mom’s basement.

This is what most people think of when describing a video gamer. But they couldn’t be more wrong!

In recent years, eSports have grown so much and proven that  this isn’t something that wastes people’s lives away; it is in fact a legitimate form of professional competition.

Esports  is a competition of teams who compete in various team video game tournaments across the world  to win various amounts of prize money.  The eSports tournaments have grown tremendously over the past decade and are reeling in over one million people watching online at any given time. A few of the most well-known competitions are: League of Legends, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS:GO), Dota 2, Hearthstone, Mortal Kombat X, Overwatch, and Call of Duty.

Originally video games were intended to be played individually as a hobby, but with the growth of technology, the world of videogames has grown into a community of people.  Many of these eSports have the same characteristics of normal sports such as teamwork, communication, and hard practice.

When I watch a football game, all I see a bunch of overpaid crybabies who over-celebrate when they catch a ball, I am ashamed to what the game has become.  

Now with eSports there are the players who train six to seven hours a day to play one tournament so well disciplined and even though they may lose the sportsmanship is worth the while to watch.

There are two different types of aspects between these sports. There are the physical, which are your sports like football, basketball, and track. But there is also mental. In the long run you have a better chance of training your mind to play these games, because let’s be honest not all of us are Michael Jordans or Tiger Woods!  You could injure yourself while playing physical sports that can end your whole career, while eSports have little to know injure and appeals to many people who are willing to put in the effort.    

Even now colleges are giving out scholarships for students to play for their college team because it bring in more sponsor for the school and it allows the players to experience what they always dreamed and that to play for a video game professionally. Robert Morris in Illinois was one of the first colleges to give scholarships to students who are willing to play on their esports team.

The new age is here and I’m not saying to kick out the old, but to accept the new. This is something that will not go away in the near future, it will only keep growing. Personally I have play both physical and eSports and esports is something that makes me more excited to see than physical sports will ever do  

And remember when your mom says to stop playing video games because it’s good for nothing, tell them your training to earn a college scholarship.