Poetry slam makes itself heard

Back to Article
Back to Article

Poetry slam makes itself heard

Hailey Hecht-O'Connor, Staff Writer

Raise your voices for the new Louder Than a Bomb slam team!

On Jan. 17, Mr. Aviv Katz, special education teacher, and Ms. Katie McGuinness, math teacher, hosted the first Louder Than a Bomb (LTAB) meeting, a spoken word group.

Louder Than a Bomb is a month-long poetry slam festival hosted in Chicago every year, and is the largest youth slam in the world. It is designed to let upcoming artists share their voice and experience other’s stories as well.

LTAB was held Tuesdays after school in room 238, but after only three students attended each meeting, the decision was made to switch meetings to before school on Tuesdays. This proved successful as 11 students showed up during their last turnout on Jan. 31.

“Over the last four years I have been at Eisenhower, I’ve recognized some very talented students.” McGuinness explains, “I think expressing oneself is very powerful, especially in our time, and I wanted to give those students a place to share their creations.”

The poetry slam team is not an official club yet and will not be going to Louder Than a Bomb this year. For the time being, students will work on their writing and speaking skills in hopes of attending the event in the future.

If interested, LTAB meets every Tuesday before school at 7:30 a.m. in room 238. Light refreshments will be provided.