• CDT finishes 4th at Dance Nationals in Orlando! Congrats!

• Senior wrestler Jason Nako finishes fourth in State! Congrats!

• Talent Show will be held in the PAC on 2/22

• The Talent Show is on 2/22 after school in the PAC. Stop by!

Undertale Review

Hailey Hecht-O'Connor, Staff Writer

Sometimes older doesn’t mean worse. Undertale is a perfect example of this.

Toby Fox, Undertale’s developer and publisher, created a campaign on Kickstarter, a crowdfunding platform, for the game on June 24, 2013. In one month it earned more than 10 times the set goal of $5,000. After two more years in development, Undertale was officially released for $9.99 on Sept. 15, 2015.

Fox, with little outside help, developed the whole game. He created the story, concepted characters, wrote the code, and composed the entire 101 song soundtrack.

Undertale is a roleplaying game for PC and Mac. The player takes control of a human who has fallen into the Underground, a world below the surface where monsters were banished long ago. In the journey to escape the Underground, the human encounters a unique variety of characters ranging from sassy slimes to eccentric skeletons.

Unlike other roleplaying games, Undertale isn’t about getting stronger by defeating foes. This is one of the many reasons the game has been so highly praised by gamers worldwide. Choosing to spare these monsters or kill them is up to the player, branching the overarching story into three pathways. The game’s artificial intelligence does not forget this choice, and trying to fix it may lead to even worse consequences.

Undertale’s graphics resemble that of an 80’s 2D video game, with simple designs for characters and items, but where the game really shines is its characters and story. Each individual has a unique personality that mixes well not only with others, but with the world they inhabit. The dialogue is witty and humorous, much of which involves bad puns that you sometimes can’t help but laugh at.

Others on the internet, however, argue otherwise. To them, Undertale does not deserve all the praise it gets. The 2D art style is weak compared to 3D games that come out today, the writing is subpar at best, and the game has random spikes in difficulty.

I, on the other hand, completely disagree. Buying this game a week after release, I knew very little what I was about to get into, only hearing how good it was.

The graphics definitely fit what Undertale was going for. Its simple character models remind me of other well-received games in the genre like Earthbound. Everything had its place in the world, and the soundtrack made everything seem truly alive.

Within minutes I was stunned at how unique the game was compared to the other roleplaying games. I became emotionally attached to many of the characters, laughing at their jokes and feeling sympathy for them in battle.  I am not ashamed to say the peaceful ending made me shed tears, both of joy and sadness. Even as I committed monster genocide, I felt terrible for what I was doing, knowing very well it was wrong.

Overall, Undertale has become one of my favorite games of all time, and I would recommend it to anyone. It has a perfect five stars from me!