• Have a great summer Eisenhower community! See you in August!

Book Review

Amari Glover, Staff Writer

If there’s one time of life when things come into focus: self-image, relationships, beliefs, fears, and short encounters with love, it has to be your high-school years.

In his first novel, Looking for Alaska, John Green captures the feeling of  love and heartaches.

This story is told through teenager, Miles Halter as he enrolls at a boarding school to try to gain a deeper perspective on life, and was inspired by Green’s experiences as a high school student.
Miles Halter is a junior in a boarding school in rural Alabama. The Florida teen is used to the sun, but not the on and off rain in the south. He’s also not used to being apart of the gang, but at Culver Creek this shy boy is accepted for who he is.

Looking for Alaska is John Green’s first novel, published in March 2005 by Dutton Juvenile. It won the 2006 Michael L. Prints Award from the American Library Association, and led the association’s list of most-challenged books for 2015 due to profanity and sexually explicit scenes.

Green’s book reviews have appeared in The New York Times Book Review and Booklist, a wonderful book review journal where he worked as a publishing assistant and production editor while writing Looking for Alaska.

I love Green’s work, there is always a interesting plot twist in his novels, you have to expect the unexpected. Personally, I think Green’s books are too explicit to be in high school libraries. Teens are already influenced. Then, I believe teens should be exposed to the real world and things that are actually happening.

Green has written an creative novel, one that will help young readers find their place in the world and how they deal with one another. Looking for Alaska is funny, sad, inspiring and complex.