The Red and White News

• Congratulations to Eisenhower senior Henry Aranda on signing with the University of Dubuque!

• Eisenhower speech team heads to the IHSA Sectional tournament tomorrow, good luck!

• Eisenhower wrestling team advances three to the IHSA Sectional tournament

• Enjoy your days off on Feb. 15 and 18

Eisenhower celebrates Black History Month

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ms. Jounique Davis judges students at round one of the talent show tryouts after school on Jan. 18 in room 224.

Selena Washington, Staff Writer

With February right around the corner, the African-American Culture Awareness Club (AACA) has mapped out their calendar with exciting events that range from sporting events to live entertainment that will kick start Black History Month this year.

“Hopefully the events will help people understand the importance of how African-Americans contributed to our country,” says Ms. Johnique Davis.

On Jan. 18 and Jan. 23, the club hosted tryouts for the Talent Show that will take place at 3:30 p.m. on Feb. 22 in the Performing Arts Center. There are 14 contestants. Each person will perform for five minutes until 5 p.m. When the show is over, the judges will announce winners.

The cost to get in will be $1 for students and $3 for adults. The judges of the talent show are Coach Travis Moore, Ms. Jermaine Durning, Coach Tomeka Hawkins, Ms. Toyia Peters, Dr. Adrienne Johnson, and Ms. Katie Mucha.

“AACA will be using the money for college tours for Kentucky Central State and Wilver Force University,” says Davis.

The cost to get in will be $1 for students and $3 for adults. The judges of the talent show are Coach Travis Moore, Ms. Durning, Coach Hawkins, Ms. Peters, Dr. Johnson, and Ms. Mucha.

Feb. 5-9 will kick off spirit week. Monday is black, green, and red day. Tuesday is wear a historically black colleges/university wear clothing. Wednesday is African clothing day. Thursday is professional dress up day. Friday is DDE spirit wear.

The Student vs. Staff Basketball Game will be held on Feb. 6  at 3:45 p.m.  in the main gym. This year will make the seventh year of the  game run by Coach Moore, head coach of the varsity football team. It will cost $1 to get into the game or  free if a $10 Black History Month t-shirt is purchased.

“It [the game] gives students an opportunity to interact with staff outside of the classroom, which most school events which don’t have,” says  Moore.

Throughout the month, there will be even more exciting events happening. Contact  Davis in room 222 or Moore in the ISS room for information on upcoming events.