Future students experience Eisenhower

Back to Article
Back to Article

Future students experience Eisenhower

Scott Gardener poses with his mentee on the previous Shadow Day that took place on Nov. 29, 2017. 27 other eighth grade students will be walking in their mentors shoes.

Brianna Smith, Staff Writer

Eighth graders will be walking the halls of Eisenhower sooner than you think.

Eisenhower will be hosting their second Shadow Day on Jan. 31, 2018. This day allows eighth grade students who will be attending Eisenhower to become familiar with the school and what courses are available. These students come from Hamlin, Veterans Memorial, and Kerr middle schools.

The school allows a maximum of 30 incoming students to shadow. This upcoming Shadow Day, 27 students will be shadowing at Eisenhower, one more student than the previous time.

According to Ms. Juanita Lopez, Dean of Students, the eighth graders are paired up with their mentors either by request, or because a staff member recommends a student. Eisenhower also takes into account of what the eight grader will want to see. The feedback from last Shadow Day showed the success of the program.

“Because they got to select the classes that they wanted to see, the feedback was pretty positive,” says Lopez. “It might’ve been a little different had they not had the opportunity to view what classes they wanted to see.”

Schools from district 218 will also be joining Eisenhower to welcome potential freshmen.