Cardinal Wrestling Season Wrapping Up

Senior+Jason+Nako+and+Junior+Makhei+Glasperare+both+looking+forward+to+Regionals+next+week.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Cardinal Wrestling Season Wrapping Up

Senior Jason Nako and Junior Makhei Glasperare both looking forward to Regionals next week.

Branden Shelwood, Staff Writer

The Eisenhower wrestling season is almost over. All wrestlers have been working hard and getting themselves better for the end of the season. Now some cardinals are looking to forward in Regionals and Sectionals. Junior Makhei Glasper and Senior Jason Nako.

Heading into the final Conference meet last Saturday, Jan. 19, Coach Ambrosino had high expectations for his team and wanted everyone to place. Although all the Cardinals fought hard, only two wrestlers placed. Glasper won second place in the 152 weight class and Nako placed first place for the 220 weight class.

“ I feel very confident and mentally ready to go. I trust the process and my coaches to get me very far” say Nako.

The nine members of the varsity wrestling team will compete at Regionals on Feb. 2 at Marist High School for a shot at Sectionals.

Coaches have been running harder practices and head coach Joseph Ambrosino has been having drilsl that focus on quality of moves, longer conditioning with sprints, stair running and live matches to increase the stamina of the wrestlers.

“Heading into Regionals means the competition is going to get better and harder and I’m looking forward to seeing the team do well and advance from there” says Ambrosino.

The last time the team qualified for Sectionals was in 2015. The team, led by captains Jason Nako and Lemuel Cartman, are hoping to make it even further this year.