First Power of Words event brings large crowd

Vision+Rollins+gives+her+speech+during+The+Power+of+Words+Mixer+on+Wednesday%2C+Feb.+28%2C+2018.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Vision Rollins gives her speech during The Power of Words Mixer on Wednesday, Feb. 28, 2018.

Hailey Hecht-O'connor, Editor

The first ever Power of Words (POW) event was a success with well over 150 students attending.

On Wednesday, Feb. 28, Eisenhower hosted their first annual POW ‘mixer’ from 3:15 – 4:30 p.m. in the cafeteria to bring awareness to the student body about the impact that words can have on others.

The event, led by Ms. Malinda Majoch, Associate Principal, was held to notify students on the weight of the words that they use expose the effects of certain harmful words and stereotypes on different racial and social groups.

According to Ms. Dana Krilich, who was responsible for the event’s publicity, the POW Mixer was the result of reactions to a student’s Snapchat that used racist language. The Social Justice Committee, a group of teachers and administrators, kick-started the function.

“[The staff] came together to create a movement in the school against the use of hurtful language.” states Krilich.

10 people spoke at the event to discuss equality and opportunity. They shared some of their personal experiences with demeaning language and how it has affected them. Most of these speakers were students, who created their pieces themselves.

The event also featured free snacks, some music, a photo booth, and a raffle, with the grand prizes being a ticket to prom and an Amazon Echo Dot.

Although many showed up to the successful event, some commented about the nature of the event. Karaoke, dancing, and student DJs were advertised, but didn’t appear during the event.

“We tried to do too much in too short of a time,” explains Krilich, “As it became closer to the date, we realized it turned more into a political rally.”

Despite the potentially misleading title, most of the students stayed through to the end of the mixer. The message, they said, was powerful.

“The speeches were very moving.” says Sierra Williams, junior, “I wish there was something like it during school so that everyone could see it!”

The Power of Words is not going away and more rallies planned for the future. Their next event, which is still in the works, is a Power of Words event for Women’s History Month during March and a poetry slam in April.