Baseball team earns chance to compete at professional stadium

Back to Article
Back to Article

Players pose for group picture

Players pose for group picture

Players pose for group picture

Players pose for group picture

Joel Herrera, Editor

The varsity baseball team will soon be part of the “major league experience” by playing two games at professional baseball stadiums.

Thanks to Windy City Thunderbolts, the team will host their first ever stadium game against Argo High School on April 10 and have the unique opportunity to face Back of the Yards College Preparatory High School at University of Illinois at Chicago baseball stadium.

“My brother who works for College Preparatory High school was able to reach out to UIC and book us a game there,” says varsity baseball head coach Ryan Gorney. “I reached out to Windy City Thunderbolts and arranged a game there against Argo High School.”

Students are able to experience the stadium games for $5 with Gorney looking for a fan bus approval from Dr. Jim Weber, Athletic Director.

With the new season here, Gorney is looking forward to the new field upgrades that are currently under construction.

“We have new padding going up on the backstop wall that will replace the bricks and the Cardinal emblem will be back up in the right field,” says Gorney

The team continues to make a positive difference within the community by offering baseball camps throughout the year. Over the winter break, Gorney hosted a winter camp for little leagues and will host a summer camp for all ages within the community.

“We have new leaders this year and a few players from junior varsity joining the team,” says senior Gevonte Rawls. “Our batting performance in practice has really improved overall.”

Both of the stadium games start at 4:30 with the Thunderbolts game on April 10 and the University of Illinois at Chicago still undecided. The boys will compete tomorrow at Joliet Township High School on Friday, March 23 at 4:30 p.m.