The Red and White News

• Congrats to Speech Team for heading to state!

• Good luck to our girls softball as they start there season!

• First home game for girls soccer March 25 at 5:00

• First home game for Baseball March 21 at 4:30

Students at Eisenhower turn backs on drugs

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rene Terraza (left), senior, and Michael Piatkiewicz (right), junior, get into spirit by wearing college T-shirts. The theme of Tuesday was college day.

Viviana Castillo, Staff Writer

Students at Eisenhower turn their backs on drugs in honor of Red Ribbon Week.

Red Ribbon Week, an event run by Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD), is a week long event dedicated to spreading awareness of making good decisions for future years concerning drugs and alcohol, technology choices, bullying, and emotional awareness. Red Ribbon Week is from Oct. 22-26.

The activities for Red Ribbon Week involve a spirit week in which students are encouraged to participate in the different events going on each day for the duration of the week. Spirit Week starts on Monday with Pajama Day; Tuesday is college shirt day, with the students wearing college shirts of their choice, while pledging to be drug free in all lunch periods; Wednesday is “Don’t be a castaway… be drug free!” With students wearing a Hawaiian shirt or outfit; Thursday is wearing your favorite decade, with students wearing their favorite decade outfit from the ‘50s up until the ‘90s; the week ends with a blackout day on Friday, where students are encouraged to wear as much black as possible to honor past and present Cardinals.

Other events include a sign up drive in the cafeteria to get students to pledge to be drug free in all lunch periods on Monday and Tuesday.

“The Pledge Drive is the biggest part, with students pledging to be drug/alcohol free,” says Kelly Kasper, geography teacher.

“Red Ribbon week is for those who have pride in Eisenhower show their school spirit by doing certain tasks that show that they take pride to be a Cardinal,” exclaimed Elaina Limon, junior. “Blackout day is going to be my favorite!”

According to redribbon.org, Red Ribbon Week was started in 1998 as a way to raise awareness of the killing and destruction caused by drugs and alcohol in response to the murder of UEA Agent Enrique Camarena.

SADD, sponsored by Ms. Kelly Kasper, meets every Tuesday at 3:25 p.m. in room 214 and is open to all.