The Red and White News

• Congratulations to Eisenhower senior Henry Aranda on signing with the University of Dubuque!

• Eisenhower speech team heads to the IHSA Sectional tournament tomorrow, good luck!

• Eisenhower wrestling team advances three to the IHSA Sectional tournament

• Enjoy your days off on Feb. 15 and 18

Two cultures, one familia

Back to Article
Back to Article

Two cultures, one familia

Aaliyah Gamboa, Staff Writer

This is it, their success brought them back, so while your here, enjoy the view.

The Netflix original One Day at a Time is coming out with a season three on Feb. 8, 2019 after a very successful first and second season.

This comedy drama sitcom is actually inspired by Norman Lear’s 1975 series with the same name. In this version, we follow a single, ex-veteran mom named Penelope (Justina Machado) trying to navigate through the struggles of everyday life with her Cuban-American life.

Penelope raises her two children, Elena (Isabella Gomez) and Alex (Marcel Ruiz), with the help of her old-fashioned mother, Lydia (Rita Moreno) and her quirky building manager Schneider (Todd Grinnell).

The show’s first season was released Jan. 6, 2017 and the second on Jan. 26, 2018. Season one and two both have 13 episodes.

One Day at a Time has great reviews with its first season given a 97 percent and its second season a 100 percent on Rotten Tomatoes.

The shows is similar to other family sitcoms, but this show manages to still stand out with having a multiculturalist and multigenerational home and making a Latino family the main cast.

How the show uses a multi-generational family to discuss and provide points of views on matters talked about nowadays, such as immigration, gun control, and mental health, is actually quite refreshing.

The show is appealing to different types of audiences and attracts a wide crowd. They show is TV-PG but it’s still appealing to the older audience with certain references, humor, and relevent topics.

The show takes what we’re facing now, and shows how these issues can directly influence others and ourselves

Overall, if you’re looking for a new show to binge watch and relate to, you should definitively give One Day at a Time a chance. There’s a reason the overall show got 98 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. Just saying.