Journalists head to state one last time

Back to Article
Back to Article

Journalists head to state one last time

Gisselle Almazan, Staff Writer

In its final competition season, the Red and White newspaper will send three students to compete at IHSA state finals on Friday, April 26 in Normal, Illinois.

Seniors, Joel Herrera, Gisselle Almazan and Hailey Hecht-O’Connor all qualified for state.

Herrera placed second place in headline writing; Almazan placed second in yearbook caption writing and O’Connor third in photo storytelling at Sectionals on April 13.

This is Herrera and O’Connor’s second time going to state and Almazan’s first time.

“I’m glad to be going my senior year, I had lots of fun last year, it was a great experience overall” said O’Connor.

At the event, students have an hour and 30 minutes to complete their selected event against students across the state of Illinois.

With competition being at its highest, the newspaper team has high hopes to end its last year strong.

According to English Curriculum Director, Mr. Anthony Corsi, Newspaper will not be eliminated as a course offering, but will not run as a class at Eisenhower next school year due to low student enrollment.

“All of the district’s newspapers do very well in competitions and have won numerous awards–the same was true of our yearbooks. This is a reflection of the dedication and abilities of the students as well as the commitment and expertise of the teachers. Unfortunately, interest in classes like Newspaper or Yearbook within the general student population is low and appears to be continuing to wane” said Corsi.

Corsi is trying to bring back yearbook and newspaper as a club for next year, but will no longer compete in IHSA.